Facebook is by far the largest of all social networks based on just about every measure. In this post, we present 47 current Facebook stats that have been updated for 2021 and prove that this enormous platform is still a must-have for marketers in almost all areas.
Let's examine the Facebook stats that matter to marketers this year.
Bonus: Download a free guide Here's how to use Hootsuite to convert Facebook traffic into revenue in four easy steps.
General Facebook statistics
1. Facebook has 2.74 billion monthly active users
This corresponds to an increase of 12% compared to the previous year compared to September 2019.
If there is one statistic that proves the importance of including Facebook in your marketing strategy, this is it. There is simply no other platform that offers this reach.
2. Facebook reaches 59% of the world's population on social networks
It's the only social platform that reaches more than half of all social media users.
3. Facebook is the third most visited website in the world
It is only surpassed by Google and YouTube. If people spend time online, there's a good chance they'll be spending it on Facebook.
4. Facebook is the second most downloaded app
And Facebook Messenger is number 7. Only TikTok beats Facebook for downloading.
This again shows how prevalent Facebook is in our daily lives, be it on the internet or on our phones.
5. Facebook will be 17 years old in 2021
On February 4, 2004, Mark Zuckerberg published the first version of "The Facebook". Most high schoolers have never known a world without Facebook.
There is no doubt that over these 17 years, Facebook has firmly established itself as the place where we receive our messages, learn about new products, and communicate with friends, family, and businesses, as you'll see in the Facebook statistics below.
6. 63% of Facebook employees are men
The company has worked to increase the diversity of its workforce, and the proportion of male employees has decreased from 69% in 2014. However, men still make up the majority of the workforce at Facebook, filling a whopping 75.9% of technical roles.
Facebook user statistics
7. 57% of the Facebook audience are men
And 43% are female. (Facebook limits its gender coverage to men and women.) By comparison, Instagram is almost equally divided between men and women.
8. 32.4% of Facebook viewers are between 25 and 34 years old
This is the largest target group segment by age. The next largest group is between 18 and 24 years old and represents 23.5% of the Facebook audience. Only 4.7% of Facebook viewers are 65 or older and only 5.8% are 17 or younger.
9. 95% of the US population over 12 knows Facebook
Who are the 5% who have never heard of the social media giant? Good question.
10. 63% of the US population over 12 uses Facebook
While almost all Americans know about Facebook, around two-thirds of the population actually use it.
That is a 67% decrease in 2017 but an increase of 61% last year.
Source: Edison Research
While this is the total number, the percentage of American adults using Facebook varies by age group:
- 64% of 12 to 34 year olds
- 74% of 35 to 54 year olds
- 52% of those over 55
11. Only 8.9% of the Facebook audience is in the US.
Yes, we just told you that the majority of Americans use Facebook: the network reaches 190,000,000 users in the US.
But compare that to 310,000,000 users in India. The vast majority of the Facebook audience lives outside of the United States.
12. The fastest growing region for Facebook is the Middle East and Africa (13.6%).
Asia follows with 10.7%. Facebook continues to grow in Europe and North America as well, growing 8.7% worldwide in 2020.
However, Facebook is actually losing users in Germany, Japan, Switzerland and South Korea.
13. 83% of Canadians have a Facebook account
This is by far the best social platform in Canada. For comparison: 51% have an Instagram account.
14. 53% of US Facebook users trust the platform to protect their data and privacy
That means 47% don't. And of the 53% who trust Facebook, 23% just do "something". This is the lowest trust level among social networks.
Maintaining a long-term relationship with your Facebook connections can help overcome their network concerns. Make sure they understand the benefits of following you.
For more Facebook user statistics, check out our post on Facebook Demographics All Marketers Need To Know.
Facebook usage statistics
15. Facebook users use the platform for 34 minutes a day
eMarketer had predicted a drop in time spent on Facebook in 2020, but the pandemic has changed that. What do Facebook users do in these 34 minutes? Continue reading.
16. 79.9% of Facebook users only access the platform on a mobile device
That means they will never access Facebook through a computer.
For comparison: only 1.7% of Facebook users only access the platform via a computer. And 18.5% of users access Facebook from both a mobile device and a computer.
When planning your Facebook ad placement, consider which devices your particular audience is most likely to use.
17. 80.5% of mobile Facebook users access the app on Android
Only 14.3% use iOS. This is likely related to the small percentage of Facebook users who live in the US.
18. 36% of people receive messages from Facebook
This is the highest proportion among social networks. There is an important discussion going on about the impact of Facebook as a news source that all businesses should keep an eye on.
However, it is also worthwhile for marketers to consider what these Facebook statistics say about the value of the network as a platform for announcing new product launches, campaigns or collaborations. If there's an important aspect to something you're working on, make sure your Facebook followers know about it.
Source: Reuters Institute Digital Report 2020
19. 45% of newcomers between the ages of 35 and 54 discover new music on Facebook
This is the only age group that lists Facebook as the top 3 source for discovering new music. For Generation X musicians, Facebook is an important way to get in touch with potential new fans.
20. The most talked about moment on Facebook in 2020 was the death of Kobe Bryant
Facebook users in the United States, Mexico, and the Philippines made the most posts about the late basketball star.
21. 500 million people use Facebook Stories every day
Creating content for Facebook Stories is different from creating content for the news feed. The pace is faster, the aspect ratio is different, and you have a lot less text to work with. However, stories have the strategic advantage of being displayed at the top of the screen.
For marketers struggling with the Facebook algorithm, this can be an easy way to ensure your content is showing up.
22. Facebook users "love" about 8% of the legislative posts and express "anger" in 6%
These are the most common replies to lawmakers' Facebook posts other than the generic "Like".
For marketers, this is a great reminder of the types of responses your posts are generating. Love is great Anger can mean that you should change your approach.
Source: Pew Research Center
23. 1.3 billion people use Facebook Messenger
That is 23% of the world population over 13 years.
And they use messenger to communicate with brands. Every month, 10 billion messages are sent between people and companies via Messenger.
24. 1.8 billion people use Facebook groups
And there are tens of millions of groups on Facebook.
Companies and brands can create their own Facebook groups to interact with existing fans, or explore ways to connect with potential customers through existing public groups.
25. The membership of the local Facebook group increased 3.3-fold this spring
That number is the growth from February to May 2020.
Since people were much closer to home, they used Facebook groups to connect with their local communities.
26. The largest Facebook group in the US is The Blackout Coalition
With 1.8 million members, this group supports black-owned companies.
More than 3.5 million people in the United States joined new Facebook groups this spring to support black-owned businesses.
27. Facebook Dating has created over 1.5 billion games
Facebook's opt-in dating section was launched in September 2019 and recently expanded to Europe.
28. The average Facebook user likes 12 posts per month
It is like this almost every other day. The average user also makes five comments and shares one post every month.
By posting compelling content that drives engagement, you can ensure that you get your share of those likes, comments, and approvals.
29. 96.3% of Facebook users use at least one other social media platform
90% of them use YouTube, 73% Instagram and 52% Twitter.
Remember, you can reach your audience across multiple platforms with remarketing. Installing the Facebook pixel is a good place to start.
30. 54% of American social media users say that Facebook is the platform they use the most
Yes, they use other social networks as we just showed you. But Facebook is the one that most people use the most. Only 16% say they use Instagram the most, and 5% name Twitter as their most used social media site.
Facebook business statistics
31. 42% of businesses on Facebook are based in the suburbs
For comparison: 33% are urban companies and 25% are in rural areas.
32. 48.5% of B2B decision-makers use Facebook for research purposes
This makes it the most traditional social network for B2B research. Only YouTube is higher at 50.9%. Don't neglect Facebook when marketing to a business audience.
33. 18.3% of adults in the US bought from Facebook in the past year
Compare that to 11.1% for Instagram and 2.9% for Pinterest.
34. Facebook clicks on searches for local businesses rose 23% from February to May 2020
When the #SupportLocal trend took off this year, people focused on local businesses and products.
35. ⅔ of Facebook users visit a local company page at least once a week
It's not just the big brands who are successful with Facebook marketing. (Though they certainly use Facebook too.)
Local businesses can use Facebook to create lasting connections with repeat customers in their own communities.
36. In six months, Facebook removed 3,716,817 pieces of content for copyright and trademark violations and falsified reports
With the help of social listening you can find out whether your own content or products are being misused or misrepresented on Facebook. If you encounter any problem, please contact Facebook for help removing the content.
Facebook ad statistics
37. Facebook has an advertising audience of 2.14 billion
This is how many people can reach Facebook reports with ads on their platform. This corresponds to an increase of 2.2% (or 45 million users) since the third quarter of 2020.
38. 47% of Facebook's advertising revenue comes from the US and Canada
Based on "Estimating the geographic location of our users when they engage in any revenue generating activity".
But remember: the vast majority of Facebook users live outside of the US. If you are selling a product that can be shipped internationally, or a digital product or service that doesn't care about geography, there is tremendous untapped potential here for you to reach advertising markets without a lot of competition.
39. The average price for an advertisement decreased by 9% in the third quarter of 2020
This is good news for advertisers as it will give you (some) more bang for your buck.
40. The average Facebook user clicks 12 ads per month
That's every 2.5 days. It might not seem like a large number, but keep in mind that not all ads require a click to be effective.
Most importantly, these Facebook stats show that users are still paying attention to and engaging with Facebook ads rather than turning them off.
Women click on more ads (15 per month) than men (10).
41. In the Philippines and Libya, Facebook ads can reach 100% of the population over the age of 13
Yes all together. This range is literally unbeatable.
Facebook ads can reach 98% of the population in Malta, Samoa and Aruba and 97% in Mongolia, Ecuador and Peru.
Facebook publishes statistics
42. The average Facebook page shares 1.55 posts per day
Of these posts, 55.6% are photos, 22.2% videos, 18.5% links and only 3.6% are direct status updates.
Do you want to make the most of your 1.55 posts per day? Check out our blog post about the best times to post on Facebook.
43. The average engagement rate for Facebook posts is 0.18%
Use this option to measure your own engagement rate. If you're not there already, check out our list of ways to increase Facebook engagement.
44. Pages with fewer than 10,000 fans see a participation of 0.52%
That's a much higher number than the Facebook statistic mentioned above. This is because engagement decreases as a site's audience increases.
Pages with more than 100,000 fans only see 0.10% engagement.
Facebook video statistics
45. The average engagement rate for Facebook video postings is 0.26%
Remember, the overall average engagement rate is only 0.18%. This is a powerful motivator to include video content in your marketing strategy.
46. The number of Facebook Live viewers increased by 50% this spring
Facebook attributes the jump to people who want to attend live events like fitness classes or connect with people who can no longer personally support them, like their favorite artists.
The week of the Easter and Passover holidays was the most popular week for Facebook life from spiritual pages.
47. More than 1.25 billion people visit Facebook Watch every month
If your page has more than 5,000 followers, try creating content for this video specific tab on Facebook.
Manage your Facebook presence along with your other social media channels with Hootsuite. From a single dashboard, you can schedule posts, share videos, engage your audience, and measure the impact of your efforts. Try it for free today.