Google wrote about some of the efforts required to prevent and remove "counterfeit and fraudulently contributed content" from Google Maps. The number of how much Google has removed from the Google Maps ecosystem is pretty amazing.
Here are some of the highlights of the past year in 2020:
- 55 million non-compliant reviews blocked or removed
- 3 million fake business profiles were removed
- 960,000 reviews and 300,000+ business profiles reported to us by Google Maps users have been removed.
- 160 million photos were reviewed and removed that violated guidelines or were of poor quality.
- 3.5 million videos were reviewed and removed that violated guidelines or were of poor quality.
- Google disabled more than 610,000 user accounts after discovering and investigating suspicious or non-policy behavior.
- Google has stopped more than 3 million attempts by bad actors to review business profiles on Google that did not belong to them.
The crazy part is the 55 million reviews and 3 million company profiles that were removed, fewer than in 2019. Google said it was "20 million fewer reviews than in 2019 as we saw a decrease in the total number of reviews because of COVID -19 fewer people are on the move. "
Forum discussion on Twitter.