An In-Depth Review of Semrush Updates: New Pricing and New Powerful Features in 2021
If there is one thing we learned in 2020, using your business online is the only path to future-proof business growth. However, with competition increasing, you need to invest in certain tools that will help you align your business for digital profits.
And I can't think of a better tool than Semrush when it comes to providing solutions for improving your digital marketing game.
Semrush is an all-in-one platform with over 40 tools that cover almost all aspects of online marketing – from market research to content creation.
I've already written a lot about the benefits Semrush can offer any marketer or company serious about online. Semrush is constantly improving its existing tools, improving algorithms and adding new features. Also, tools are constantly being added to cover more and more everyday and high-level digital marketing tasks.
With this and the recently revised Semrush packages that come with a slightly increased cost, I decided to re-examine some of the key points I made earlier and see if the suite is still worth the investment.
To that end, I'll be focusing on each of the platform's five toolkits – SEO, advertising, content marketing, competitive research, and social media – and focusing on the latest updates and new features that were only introduced in the Semrush tools just last year .
Get a free 14-day trial of Semrush Pro!
How much does Semrush cost for new users?
Semrush hasn't changed its pricing model since 2017. As already mentioned, the already very powerful platforms are significantly improved and expanded from year to year.
Note that the price increase will only affect users who sign up for the suite in 2021, so all of us, old users, can enjoy all of the new perks and features at a good old price.
- The new Pro account costs $ 119.95 / month, which is 20% higher than the old price. Pro users now benefit from more functions: Instead of 3 projects, they can create 5, share their PDF templates and projects with read-only access.
- Those who sign up for a Guru account in 2021 will pay $ 229.95 / month. However, the updated Giri prices also offer advanced features: access to the Google Data Studio connector, the ability to create 15 projects, monitor 1500 keywords and access historical data as well as the most comprehensive content marketing platform on the market benefit.
- The new business plan is now $ 449.95 / month. In addition to the benefits included in the plans below, business users can set up 40 projects and view estimates of their online voice percentage (SoV) in the location tracking tool.
So, depending on the size and type of your business, you may be able to find a plan that is just for you.
It's important to mention that Semrush gives you a lot of features that are usually offered in other tools at an additional price, such as: B. Access to mobile data, hyperlocal position tracking and keywordsand extensive coverage, including ready-made report templates or customizable options.
In addition, the price per additional seat has even decreased with the new packages. Since the average price per additional user has decreased by an average of 36%, this is a nice gift for the new year.
But now let's see in more detail what users get for it!
Semrush: SEO Toolkit Updates
With over 15 tools that make up the platform's SEO toolkit, you get almost complete coverage of your SEO efforts: backlink management, rank monitoring, on-page SEO analysis, and site audit.
In addition, Semrush has the largest keyword database on the market, which now includes over 20 billion keywords in 128 countries. As recently as 2018, the Semrush database had a little over 2 billion keywords, so the growth dynamics of the keyword tools is simply impressive!
It wasn't until 2020 that Semrush added an immense number of new features to its SEO tools. However, I would like to name a few:
- Probably the most comprehensive tool in the toolkit is the Domain Summary, a report that allows you to view a website's online presence on the helicopter, including search traffic numbers, position trends, and backlink and keyword profiles.
Previously, if you had to enter a specific country to get key metrics from the competing website, now you can Worldwide view, an overview on a global level.
In addition, you are no longer limited to domain-level analysis as Semrush only recently introduced one Analysis at subdomain, subfolder and URL levelin case you just need to look at the specific section of your rival's website.
With the new comparison mode you can analyze up to 5 competitors at the same time. That way, you can spot some common patterns in your competitors' online performance and marketing strategies.
- The Keyword Summary Report is designed to add actionable data to your keyword strategy.
To gauge the potential of a keyword, you can now use the latest one global volume Metric (an estimate of the monthly search volume of a keyword for all countries in the Semrush database) showing a breakdown of the countries where your selected keywords are searched at most.
The report also does a more in-depth analysis of the SERP and shows the top 100 search results per keyword, including the key metrics of those URLs: backlinks, referring sites, search traffic and keywords. Semrush added SERP functions and ask Insights into each keyword to give users more keyword optimization ideas.
- Semrush has also released a polished version of its Keyword Gap, a tool that lets you discover missed or hidden paid and organic keyword opportunities based on competitive insight.
You can now Compare your keyword profile not only with competition across the domain, but also with sub-folders and URLs. The update tool now also automatically records the search volume of each keyword and shows your top missed opportunities.
- Many Semrush tools are based on proprietary algorithms, and backlink audit is no exception.
I've always found it incredibly useful to use the tool's Toxic Score metric, which has over 50 markers that determine the potential damage level of the backlink. In 2020 the Algo was updated and the Toxic Score is now even more accurate and advanced.
The backlink audit has always been one of my favorite tools that I use regularly as it monitors my active, broken, new and lost backlinks. However, in 2020 I also connected my Google Analytics account to get a more detailed look at my top performing pages in terms of the number of backlinks and the percentage of referral traffic. With a large website, I can laser focus my page on backlink management and link building to pages that really matter.
- Semrush already had the best tool out there for keeping track of your site positions. Position tracking gives you daily updates on your rankings for a range of target keywords. You can set the exact geolocation (also hyperlocal) and the device type (the tool contains mobile data).
I've always used the tool's Competitors Discovery report to see which sites I'm competing with per target keyword, but now I've also used position tracking Consider if you are facing self-competition with the latest cannibalization report.
In 2020, Semrush added a new innovative metric – Share of Voice (SoV). This feature builds on Semrush's custom visibility metric (calculated based on your SERP positions + click rate) and adds the search volume for keywords and the estimated traffic into the mix. With position tracking, you can now also understand what proportion of audience attention you can expect from certain SERP positions.
- Another extremely powerful Semrush tool is Site Audit. It runs your website through 130+ reviews and assesses the overall health of your website for performance, crawlability, international SEO, HTTPS, and internal linking issues.
Now that more websites are using structured data, Semrush released a new markups report that is unique on the market This will help identify issues with the use or implementation of markup so that you get stronger organic performance and increase your chances of getting into the SERP functions.
Semrush: Updates to the Competitive Research Toolkit
Semrush has a comprehensive market and competitive research toolkit that covers everything from market trends and benchmarks to insights about competitor traffic, SEO, online advertising, content and PR, and social media strategies.
With this kind of high-level and detailed data, you really have everything you need to make data-driven marketing decisions and develop unbeatable advertising strategies.
While many of the previously mentioned tools are also part of this toolkit, I would like to mention here improvements to the two most powerful market and competitive intelligence tools that are available at an affordable price.
Traffic Analytics now offers more insight into the target group
Semrush's Traffic Analytics tool gives you an overview of a website's performance, including top traffic sources, insights into traffic-collection tactics, and even user interaction signals.
In 2020, Semrush improved its traffic estimation algorithm so you can now get more accurate information about your competitors' traffic numbers. In addition, you can now analyze your competitors' subdomains if you need data on specific sections of their website.
The biggest update, however, came with Audience Insights – a new report that shows the percentage of overlap between your domain and another domain. With this new data you can:
- evaluate your audience potential;
- Better understand if you've picked the right rival for in-depth analysis. and
- Make data-driven and informed decisions about the potential impact of partnerships and marketing activities with another brand.
Further market benchmarks with the Market Explorer Tool
The Market Explorer tool provides an amazing overview of each market and helps you pinpoint emerging industry trends, market benchmarks, and target group characteristics, and get an overview of the key players and their market shares.
With a significant geographic expansion in 2020, the tool now covers a total of 190 regions and countries.
Market Explorer is probably the most intuitive and easy-to-use tool for collecting market information. Especially with the recently added Growth quadrant Widget that shows top players in the industry (each is automatically classified into niche players, game changers, leaders and established players) and reflects their market position changes over time.
Another important addition is the Benchmarking report, Here you can select up to five competitors to compare their traffic figures, sources and key audience characteristics.
Semrush: Updates to the Social Media Toolkit
While Semrush is probably not the main feature that Semrush is known and loved for, the suite has built in capabilities for social media management as well. Because you can't be an all-in-one digital marketing suite without just having enough social media tools.
With long-standing tools such as social media trackers and social media posters that automate your social media planning routine and help track the activities and performance of our competitors in various social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest). In 2020 Semrush released two new products:
- To keep your analysis and reports in one place, you can now use the latest social media analytics tool This reflects your key performance indicators (new followers, post reach, engagement and engagement rate) for Facebook and Instagram.
- To make your social media advertising easier, another fresh Social Media Ads Tool This feature allows you to create, broadcast and manage ads across the Facebook family including Facebook, Instagram, Facebook Messenger and the Audience Network platforms right from within Semrush. As Semrush promised, no more complex settings, just performance-oriented ads that give you a noticeable competitive advantage.
Semrush: Toolkits for Content Marketing and Advertising
While I mentioned the top Semrush updates for 2020, the Semrush staff are obviously making a lot more tweaks and minor changes to every tool and product.
So I won't go into every update. However, I should mention that I left out two extremely powerful toolkits – advertising and content marketing.
With lots of minor tweaks, I believe that the core idea behind each toolkit remains unchanged:
- Semrush's content marketing platform is a unique phenomenon among other digital marketing tools as it covers the entire workflow for creating highly relevant and high quality content that meets both SEO and user needs.
This platform allows you to discover trending ideas, headlines, and content questions (to optimize SERP functions). Create SEO-friendly copies or letters tailored to the success of SERP. Track content performance. and do a thorough review of the existing content.
- Semursh's advertising toolkit is also designed as a single point of contact for creating Google Ads campaigns. From doing in-depth competitive research to exploring your competitors' campaigns to finding the best and most efficient keywords, the toolkit has tools to help you increase and increase the CPC and ROI of your PPC, PLA, and display advertising campaigns.
Given that 2020 has been a crazy year full of challenges and obstacles, I believe Semrush did an incredible job keeping up with its world-class and innovative status as an all-in-one digital marketing platform.
In 2020, their tools will get even stronger and bring more value. So if you envision a suite that covers the functionality of dozens of other tools and often does them better than any other, the redesign of the package and the price increase comes as no surprise.
I know the people who work there just bring more updates and valuable features and tools with them every year. I look forward to seeing what amazing products we will see in 2021 so I've rolled up my sleeves to experiment and try new awesome Semrush features!
Don't forget to get your free 14-day trial of Semrush Pro!