December 22, 2020
Can you believe Instagram turned 10 in 2020? With 1 billion users, this is certainly not a platform that you as a marketer or a business owner have ignored.
However, I see many brands are missing out on their Instagram marketing strategy. I don't want you to be one of those brands. That's why I created this post which explains how to use brand ambassadors to increase the effectiveness of your Instagram presence for more traffic, brand awareness, and sales.
Why does my brand need brand ambassadors?
60 percent of Instagram users log in every day. This means that your target customers are interested in what their co-workers and people they follow are posting about. Don't you want some of these daily posts to be related to your brand? Brand ambassadors can be influencers or satisfied consumers. You have the option to create authentic posts about your brand. After all, consumers are ad blind and don't want to hear anything about your brand from your brand themselves. Consumers want to learn more about new products and / or services from their colleagues. Brand ambassadors are considered peers.
Where can I find brand ambassadors?
There are many ways to identify people on Instagram who are a perfect fit for your branding ambassador program. As already mentioned, brand ambassadors can be influencers or satisfied consumers. Influencers have a lot of followers on Instagram, while happy customers may not have a large social following, but they can still showcase your brand in front of hundreds of their friends and family.
Here are some ways you can identify brand ambassadors to post on Instagram.
- Identify and activate influencers using a tool like GroupHigh or BuzzSumo
- Reach out to your customer service team to identify happy consumers, email them and ask them to post on Instagram and tag your brand
- Email your consumers and ask them to share their experience with your brand on Instagram
How to get ambassadors to post
Making someone a brand ambassador often takes a little creativity and a little bit of incentive. Based on successful brand ambassador programs on Instagram, there are few things we can learn from other brands on how to get consumers to post on Instagram about their experiences with your brand.
- Offer free product for posts
- Offer different tiers of gift cards on how many likes an ambassador has on his post
- Incentives for ambassadors to post
- Set up a commission structure for the sales that come in from your Instagram posts
- Organization and scaling of your brand ambassador program
The aim is to get as many brand ambassadors as possible to post. This requires a lot of organization. You can create a Google Sheet to keep track of who is on your program, as well as the links and reach of their posts. You can also keep a list of all of your brand ambassadors in an email marketing tool like MailChimp so you can communicate with them regularly.
But organizing, scaling, and inspiring your ambassadors can be a tedious process. Especially if your days are filled with other marketing initiatives. This is why tools like CrewFire, which you can use to motivate and incentivize your ambassadors, are like a dream come true for marketers.
Creative ways to maximize your deserved media from ambassadors
Your brand ambassadors will create some amazingly deserving media for you on Instagram. The images and words used can not only be beneficial for sales. Here are a few ways you can recycle your earned Instagram media:
- Use the images on all of your social channels
- Use their pictures and quotes from their posts on your homepage
- Create a category on your website where potential consumers can see all of your earned Instagram content
- Use their images in your marketing materials
How to Track Your Brand Ambassador Program Results
To ensure that your brand ambassador program on Instagram is reaching its full potential, the best thing to do is to keep track of your earned media. Make a spreadsheet, consult your earned media, and use Google Analytics to record your program's performance.
In order to be able to track your ambassadors on an individual level, ask them to include your link in their bio the day they post about you. Even if they don't include your link in their bio, you can still follow the results of your brand ambassador program on Instagram.
These are the most sensible metrics to track:
- Impressions (number of followers of the ambassador)
- The number of likes their posts received
- The number of Instagram comments an ambassador receives on their posts
- The number of posts the ambassador makes about your brand
- Traffic brought their posts to your website (if they put your link in their bio)
- Sales (if they put your link in their bio)
The central theses
Brand ambassadors are an inexpensive, authentic way to earn media for your brand and create brand awareness on Instagram. Consumers want to learn about brands from their peers, not your brand. Therefore, these third-party recommendations are very effective.
Don't forget to encourage your ambassadors to post, and remember that a little goes a long way. Usually, it takes just a little nudge for your satisfied consumers to post about your brand.
Have you worked with ambassadors on Instagram? If so, you can turn to social media with your tips and insights!
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to support 100,000+ marketing colleagues expanding their skills and knowledge.