It's true, cute cat videos are hard to ignore on YouTube. However, if you are using this social media channel as part of your marketing strategy, your brand needs to pay attention to YouTube comments as well.
YouTube comments allow the public to interact with your video content and your brand to participate in a dialogue. Keeping up with YouTube users in the comments can help you attract new YouTube subscribers.
Comments also play an important role in the YouTube algorithm. And 70% of what people see on YouTube is determined by the algorithm.
In this article, you will learn how to:
- How to change the visibility of YouTube comments
- What a featured YouTube comment means
- What goes into writing a good comment
- How to moderate comments on YouTube and reply to comments on YouTube
- How to comment, find comments, and filter YouTube comments
- How to edit and review YouTube comments
Bonus: Download a free guide detailing the exact steps One creator received 23,000,000+ views on YouTube with no budget or expensive equipment.
How to enable comments on YouTube
There are various setting options for YouTube comments. You can decide what makes the most sense for your brand.
To choose the comment settings for any new YouTube videos you post:
1. Sign in to YouTube Studio
This will take you to your YouTube channel dashboard.
2. Navigate to Settings
Find the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner. Scroll down to find Settings.
3. Select Community
Here you can see two tabs. On the Automated Filters tab, you can add moderators, hide certain users, and block certain words. Click the Default Settings tab to open your comment settings.
Then you can choose:
- To allow all comments. Any comment on your video will be published automatically.
- To save potentially inappropriate comments for review. YouTube identifies comments that you may not want to appear under your video.
- Retain all comments for review. All comments are moderated by your brand. Your team manually approves which comments to go live and which to delete or report.
How to turn off comments on Youtube
In the same section of your YouTube Studio settings, you can select the option to turn off comments for new videos.
You can also turn off comments on individual YouTube videos. This overwrites your general settings.
For example, if there's only one video, your brand doesn't want comments on:
- Upload your new video to YouTube Studio.
- Select the new video in the Videos section of your YouTube Studio channel.
- 3. Select Edit in the black menu bar. Choose Comments from the drowning menu.
- 4. Then select the YouTube comment settings you want for this video.
What does a featured comment mean on YouTube?
When new comments appear on your brand's videos, you may notice this label or tag:
YouTube marks certain comments and replies with a highlighted comment or highlighted reply tag. This is an automated function.
Think of this as a way for YouTube to draw your attention to new activity that might be relevant to you. It makes it easier for you to interact with new comments, navigate the comment area, and interact with YouTube comments.
A couple of things to consider:
- Marked comment tags are automatically generated by YouTube. Moderators, creators, or users do not choose which comments to highlight.
- Others don't see what content is highlighted. Only you can see which comments are YouTube tags.
- The tags are not permanent. They disappear once you've seen or interacted with the comment.
- But they can reload. Clicking the comment timestamp reloads the comment and displays it as highlighted.
- There are also highlighted answers. This tag is your own reply to a user's comment, not an original comment.
How to moderate comments on YouTube
What's the point of writing a good comment on YouTube?
Whether you're posting a new comment on behalf of your brand or posting a comment in response to another YouTube user's video, the principles of social media writing are the same.
A good YouTube commenting strategy also includes:
- Post comments on your own video and start the conversation.
- Answers to comments and questions promptly.
- And engage with the content of your most loyal subscribers.
Your brand can also comment on another brand's YouTube videos. This interaction can help you build partnerships and relationships with other brands. This can make your brand more visible to future subscribers. And it shows that you are paying attention to conversations that take place outside of your own brand.
Here's how to moderate comments directly on YouTube and in Hootsuite too.
How to reply to comments
Sign in to YouTube Studio to natively reply to YouTube comments. Then navigate to Comments in the menu.
Depending on how you've set your brand's YouTube comment settings, you'll see public comments in the Published tab or unpublished comments in the Held for Review tab. You may also be able to review comments on the Likely Spam tab.
- 1. Make sure you have approved a comment if it is on hold for review.
- 2. On the Posted tab, navigate to the comment that you want to reply to.
- 3. Click Answers and enter your answer.
- 4. You can also interact with the comment by liking, dislike, or loving it.
You can also moderate YouTube comments in Hootsuite in addition to your other social channels. After adding YouTube as a social network to your Hootsuite account:
Create a "My Videos" stream in your Hootsuite dashboard
This will collect all of your published videos in one column.
To do this, navigate to Streams and click Add Stream. Make sure you've selected YouTube. Then you will see the following options:
Add a stream of published comments
This stream lists all of your public comments in one place.
Manage YouTube comments on a specific video
Click the More Actions button in the lower right corner of the video. Select Create Comment Stream. This will create a new column on your dashboard with YouTube comments on that one video.
Moderate unpublished comments
You can also add a moderate stream in Hootsuite. All comments waiting for your approval are listed here in one column.
Detailed information on moderating comments with Hootsuite is available here.
Here's how to find a YouTube comment
In YouTube, click the menu option under the Published tab. Then filter a comment by:
- Response status
- From subscribers
- By search term
In Hootsuite, add a search stream to your dashboard. This will pull in YouTube content and comments that contain the keyword you specified, making it easier for you to find, like, and comment on that content.
For example, create a search stream that includes your brand name or the keywords associated with your brand. Instead of manually searching for content to interact with, it is dragged straight into the search stream of your Hootsuite dashboard.
How to delete comments
There are two ways to natively delete YouTube comments.
If you keep all comments for review:
You can view comments before they are published. Instead of clicking the check mark to approve the comment, click the trash can to delete it.
When comments are published automatically:
To delete a live YouTube comment, navigate to the Posted tab in the Comments section of YouTube Studio. Click on the three vertical dots next to the comment you want to delete. Choose Remove.
This process is very similar when you moderate comments in Hootsuite.
To delete an already active comment, navigate to your "Published Comments" stream. Click the More Actions option – the three vertical dots next to the comment you want to delete – and click Remove.
If you're moderating comments before they go live, click Delete under Moderate Stream in the comment.
How to report comments
In the Comments section of YouTube Studio, click the flag to report the comment. This option is available on both the Published and Held for Review tabs.
It works the same way in Hootsuite. Select the yield icon up to the More Actions button to report a comment. You can find this option in both the published comments and the moderate streams.
How to view your YouTube comment history
View your YouTube comment history to see all of your brand's public comments.
First, make sure that your YouTube history is activated in your settings:
- Sign in to your YouTube channel.
- Navigate to your YouTube history by clicking the menu button in the top left corner and scrolling down to history.
- Click Manage All Activities.
- Click the YouTube history is enabled option. You will see a check mark. You can now view your YouTube comment history.
1. Navigate to your YouTube history
Make sure you are on your YouTube channel and not YouTube Studio.
Then click on the three lines in the top left corner of your screen. Scroll down the menu options until you find History in the drop-down menu.
2. Under History Type, select Comments
Any public comments you've ever made will be displayed here, including your replies. If a video you commented on has since been deleted, that comment will not appear here.
How to edit YouTube comments
To edit comments made on any of your brand's YouTube videos:
1. Navigate to your channel on YouTube
Click on your profile icon in the top right corner and select your channel.
2. Navigate to your YouTube history
Click on the menu in the top left corner of your screen. Scroll to History in the drop-down menu.
3. Under History Type, select Comments
Click on the three vertical dots next to the comment you want to edit. You will then see two options: Edit and Delete.
4. Click Edit and make your changes
This will take you to your video. Now enter your changes and click Save.
Now you have all the tools and information you need to edit YouTube comments.
Grow your YouTube audience faster with Hootsuite. Schedule videos and moderate comments in the same place that you manage all other social networks. Try it for free today.