November was a pretty busy month with Google giving us a date to start the Page Experience update. Google uses it to test a visual indicator or badge in search results. Google released several unconfirmed Google algorithm updates this month, but no official core update has been available as of May 4th – more than seven months have passed – and we may not see an update later this year. And we learned that DeepRank is the code name for BERT.
Google has been testing some weird advanced link overlays on featured snippets that annoy SEOs and publishers. Google also ended up ranking its own AI-generated web stories, but that was a mistake and removed them all from search.
The Google Search Console team has been busy building a great new section of crawl statistics reports. You've migrated the disavow tool, fixed the manual action bug, and more. In addition, Google has done a major migration from Google Webmaster Central to Google Search Central. However, the requirement indexing tool does not work.
There was also a crowd at the local level with a sharp rise in suspensions and in terms of the rise in business abductions. Google has also introduced a number of new features in Local and Google Maps. Google has also done tons of UI tests.
You can find information about the last month in our November webmaster report. I should note that the currently running WebmasterWorld thread is chatting the unconfirmed update from December 1st.
Here's a breakdown of the top stories you might want to catch up on:
Updates to the Google search algorithm:
- Google Page Experience update starts in May 2021 with new snippet labels
- Frequently asked questions about Google Core Web Vitals & Page Experience
- The ranking factor for Google Page Experience Update only applies to mobile search
- December 1st Update of the Google search ranking algorithm
- Was there a Google update earlier this week?
- Update of the Google Search Ranking Algorithm November 17th and 18th?
- Malfunction of the Google search ranking algorithm on November 4th
- Unusual Google Search Ranking Algorithm Chatter
- Google may not release another core update before the holidays
- Some Google algorithm updates are harrowing and others more gradual
- DeepRank is Google's code name for BERT
- Google recommended snippets with data overlay links to other websites
- Google deletes its auto-generated web stories and they are now 404
- More from Google On Passage Indexing vs. Featured Snippets
- Google: Passage Indexing is a lifeline for pages with diluted content
- How Google Passage Indexing could look in search results
Google Search Console:
- The Google Search Console crawl statistics report is now excellent
- Google Disavow Tool was eventually migrated to a new search console
- Manual actions Back in the Google Search Console
- Manual actions that no longer appear in the Google Search Console
- Google updates obsolete content removal tool
- Google: No plans to take away requirements indexing tool
- Google Search Console misclassified Detect as video performance data
- Google Merchant Center: Create your own performance reports
- Google Webmaster Central now known as Google Search Central
- The Google Q&A scheme supports STEM Education-related pages
- This is how Google can use machine learning when crawling
- Google help document on advanced crawl budget management
- Google Podcast: Indexing Images, Videos, Audio & AMP & Launch Freezes
- Short google search video to render and crawl
- Google: Redirected URLs are placed in a cluster for canonicalization
- Google one-on-one conversations about why rankings go up but traffic and clicks go down
- Click on bots so as not to improve your Google rankings
- Google: Private Whois domain name data does not affect the ranking
- Google: We can still rate a page after matching content has been removed
- Video On Google Search Quality Assessors / Evaluators
Google Local & Maps:
- Big Spike Google My Business Suspensions
- Beware of kidnapping Google My Business Listings
- Google Maps improves messaging and Performance Insights reports
- Google My Business Dashboard is testing new Location Manager interface
- Badges guaranteed by Google will appear in the Google Local & Maps results
- Local Google plans may be introduced in the business label for X years
- New Google Maps Community Feed on the Browse Tab
- Google Hotel's health and safety data is now fully available
- Google Local is proposing an edit placement that has been moved to mobile
- The local google control panel adjusts how a change is suggested to save hours
Google user interface:
- Google tests snippet highlighting to refine your search
- Google is testing the design of half a line break in search results
- Google is testing Bolder Font for search result URLs
- Google tests sub-categories in search results
- Updated Google Search Podcast Carousel with larger graphics
- Who is Alex Trebek Google Search Easter Egg
Forum discussion at WebmasterWorld.